How often have you made your clothes dirty, not only by eating but through various other activities? Not only kids, but we too make our clothes dirty while cooking, cleaning the household, eating, etc. Unfortunately, some stains are so stubborn that they don’t go away quickly. So, what to do in such a situation? How to wash clothes? Well, don’t worry. We got you all set with this complete guide on how to clean your clothes.
Have you ever noticed that even after doing the laundry, your clothes still look dirty? Well, if yes, then this can be because of overloading the washer. Interestingly, it is said that knowing how to do laundry is an essential life skill. You won’t look good with dirty clothes on. So, you will have to rewash them. So, before doing the laundry, one must be fully aware of the sensitive fabrics you are putting in the machine. Let us look at various methods and techniques of washing clothes.
How to Wash Clothes
- Washing clothes using a Washing Machine & a Dryer
- Make a pile of your clothes: While washing clothes, two things have to be kept in mind, i.e., the colour of the clothes and their material. You have to make sure that similar coloured clothes or clothes of similar materials are put in the machine—for instance, separate bright-coloured and light-coloured garments. Wash them separately; otherwise, the bright-coloured clothes will ruin the light-coloured ones. Similarly, make a pile of dresses made out of the same material like cotton, crepe, muslin, satin, etc. Separate them and wash them accordingly.
- Read the washing instructions and care tags: Care tags are attached to the clothes to guide you through the washing process. Read the wash care symbols carefully if a particular cloth has to be washed with hands or using a machine. Wash according to the fabric it is made of.
- Know the temperature: Select the temperature that is required for a particular pile of clothes. Use hot water for light-coloured garments. The heat will remove the stubborn stains that you were not able to remove earlier. On the other hand, use cold water for bright-coloured clothes. The cold water will reduce the chances of dyes fading away from your clothes. Specifically, cotton clothes must be washed with cold water. The settings vary in fully automatic and semi-automatic machines, so wash carefully.
- Select the correct load size: Some washing machines have a knob that you must turn to select the proper kind of load. For instance, if you fill up one-third of the machine, you must select the ‘small’ option. If you are filling two-third of the machine, then you must choose the ‘medium’ option. Similarly, if you fill up the entire machine, then you must select the ‘large’ option. Make sure that you do not overload the machine by squishing clothes.
- Select the correct wash cycle: There are different kinds of the wash cycle for different levels of washing. For instance, select the ‘regular’ option while washing white clothes. While washing colored clothes, select the ‘permanent’ option. Similarly, select the ‘delicate’ option if you are washing delicate clothes like sweaters, shirts, dresses, etc.
- Add the correct washing liquid: There are many laundry liquids in the market. But which one to select? Washing liquids have detergent, fabric softener, and bleach which you can add directly to the clothes or with water in the machine. Select a liquid that has equal amounts of detergent, bleach, and softener. You can put them separately as well.
- Dry your clothes: Some clothes need to be air-dried. Dry your clothes by selecting the correct cycle for them. For instance, select the ‘regular’ option for white garments. Select the ‘permanent’ option for bright-coloured clothes so that they don’t fade away. And finally, select ‘delicate’ for sensitive clothes.
- Washing Clothes by Hand
- Fill a Bucket: Get a large bucket and fill it with water. In case you don’t have a bucket, use a plugged sink. Fill the sink with warm water.
- Add a Detergent: Detergents are different while washing clothes through hands and machines. Get a detergent that says ‘mils on clothes.’ This detergent will help in removing the stains from the clothes.
- Dip your Clothes: Dip your clothes in water and make sure that they are fully saturated. Let them sit for some time in the detergent so that the clothes absorb it.
- Rinse: Rinse your clothes with warm water. Rinse them until the stains are removed. Warm water helps in removing the stains easily. Make sure that the stains are completely removed from the clothes.
- Air-dry your clothes: Do not hang your clothes to dry them because it will cause them to stretch. Instead, lay them on a flat surface. In this way, your clothes will not stretch, thereby minimizing the number of wrinkles on your clothes.
So, these are the two prominent methods of doing laundry. Washing clothes can be a tedious task, but machines have helped us immensely in completing this hectic work within a short span. Interestingly, it is always advised that delicate clothes should either be hand-washed or dry-cleaned.
Now, how to do laundry on foil-printed clothes? Well, let us look at the methods through which you can wash your foil print clothes.
Foil Print Washing Instructions
Foil printing is defined as the process of printing a particular pattern with the help of a foil for giving a shiny effect on your clothes. First, let us look at the methods of washing foil-printed dresses.
- Always wash your foil printed clothes inside out.
- Wash them with cold water. Warm water might ruin the shiny effect of the cloth.
- You can also hand dry your clothes.
- If at all you are using a dryer, select the ‘delicate’ option.
- Do not use iron on foil-printed clothes.
- Foil prints fade away in 8-10 washes. So, make sure you are washing them carefully.
So, these are some of the foil print washing instructions that you must keep in mind. Never wash these clothes along with other clothes as these foil prints can be ruined. Wash these clothes with your hands whenever possible. If at all you are using a washing machine and a dryer, wash them separately and dry them using the delicate option. Foil prints are quite delicate so, you must be cautious while washing them.
In this article, we have seen the methods of how to wash clothes. Washing clothes is a monotonous task. Use the techniques mentioned above for washing clothes, so that they are washed the correct way.
Q1. What are the two methods of washing clothes?
Well, there are many ways of washing clothes. You can either wash clothes through hands or washing machines. Scrapping, brushing, blotting, sponging, freezing, etc., are other ways of washing clothes.
Q2. Is grey colour light or dark for laundry?
You can include a grey colour in the dark pile of the laundry and then wash it. Do not include it in the light-coloured clothes.
Q3. What is the correct way to wash clothes? A ‘regular’ cycle can be used for washing dirty clothes. In case of an average load, select the ‘permanent’ option of your machine and for sensitive clothes, select the ‘delicate’ option to wash your clothes correctly.